The Work That Needs to Be Done
The first day of the Obama Administration is here at last. So it's time to get down to work, right?
The Midwest High Speed Rail blog (we love their super-realistic slogan, "Improving Amtrak, Incrementally") has used some of the data collected by Transportation for America to put together a pretty nifty map showing rail projects ready to go within four months. Network member Gregor.us,
meanwhile, has this to say about the allocation for rail projects in
the provisional Obama stimulus plan: "Proposing to spend only 1.2% of
the total 825 billion dollar package on rail is almost comical. In
truth, it’s tragicomical."
- 1. Meet the Public’s Call for More and Better Transit
- 2. Support the Nation’s Transit Systems During the Crisis Period
- 3. Prioritize Maintenance and Repair
- 4. Fund Large Cities Directly to Move Projects Faster
- 5. Incorporate Bureaucratic Streamlining Measures
- 6. Strengthen the Accountability Provision.