This Week in Livable Streets Events
Posted By Michael Rhodes On July 6, 2009 @ 12:11 pm In Livable Streets Events | 1 Comment
This week's Streetsblog Calendar  starts off with a visit from one of the Livable Streets movement's top luminaries, and ends with ice cream. Here are the week's highlights.
- Tuesday: Sunday Streets to Great Streets: Enrique Peñalosa.  Enrique Peñalosa will speak at a public forum about the future of San Francisco's streets. Peñalosa is the former Mayor of Bogotá, Colombia, an award-winning innovator in transportation and land use, and a major figure in the Livable Streets movement. San Francisco's Sunday Streets program is based on Peñalosa's "Ciclovia" system in Bogotá. His vision includes more public spaces, an extensive network of cycle paths, a system that only allows car owners to use their vehicles on specific days, greater pedestrian facilities and improved transit. As a result of his efforts, Bogotá's Bus Rapid Transit system is among the most well-known in the world. 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The future of open space.  The Bay Area is a leader in open space preservation, but it sits next to the country's most threatened farmland and is home to much urban sprawl. This forum will consider the future of the open space movement in the region. Open space activists Jeremy Madsen, executive director of Greenbelt Alliance, and John Cain, director of restoration programs at the Natural Heritage Institute, will lead the discussion. 12:30 p.m.
- Friday: Gas-Free Friday.  The SFBC is inviting members to declare their independence from oil when they pedal their way to an SFBC Energizer Station on Gas-Free Fridays to fuel up on coffee, tea and snacks. If you're not already car-free full time, this is a chance to grab your bike and encourage a friend or coworker to go gas free one day a week. 7:30-9:30 a.m.
- Friday: East Bay Bicycle Coalition Volunteer Night: Volunteers ‘n Veggies.  The
EBBC is hosting a "special edition" of their Volunteer Night. This one
is scheduled on Thursday so volunteers can enjoy the Fruitvale Village
Farmer's Market right outside EBBC's office. According to the EBBC,
"tasty treats" will be on the menu. 5:00-8:00 p.m.
- Saturday: Pedaling Revolution Book Event.  Writer Jeff Mapes comes to San Francisco to discuss Pedaling Revolution , his new book tracing the growth of bicycle advocacy, examining the environmental, safety, and health aspects of cycling, and exploring the growing bike culture that he says is changing the look and feel of cities, suburbs, and small towns across North America." 6:00-7:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Ice Cream Sunday Ride.  The SFBC has planned a ride to some of the city's top ice cream shops. The ride includes stops at at least 6 creameries across the city where riders can stop to taste flavors and socialize. The ride will be a leisurely 10-12 miles with at least 6 shops and will include a few hills to balance out all the ice cream. 12:00 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line .
Article printed from Streetsblog San Francisco: http://sf.streetsblog.org
URL to article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/07/06/this-week-in-livable-streets-events-3/
URLs in this post:
 Streetsblog Calendar: http://sf.streetsblog.org/category/events
 Sunday Streets to Great Streets: Enrique Peñalosa.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/07/06/sunday-streets-to-great-streets-enrique-penalosa/
 SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The future of open space.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/07/06/spur-lunchtime-forum-the-future-of-open-space/
 Gas-Free Friday.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/06/15/sfbc-gas-free-friday/
 East Bay Bicycle Coalition Volunteer Night: Volunteers ‘n Veggies.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/07/02/east-bay-bicycle-coalition-volunteer-night-volunteers-n-veggies/
 Pedaling Revolution Book Event.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/07/06/pedaling-revolution-book-event/
 Pedaling Revolution: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/31/books/review/Byrne-t.html
 Ice Cream Sunday Ride.: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2009/06/15/ice-cream-sunday-ride/
 Drop us a line: http://sf.streetsblog.org/suggest-event/
Click here to print.