This Week in Livable Streets Events
As Livable Streets parties go, this week holds an embarrassment of riches, culminating with Streetsblog San Francisco's very own celebration. Here's a taste of what's in store.
- Tuesday through Saturday: Bicycle Film Festival. The Bicycle Film Festival is back this year with concerts, parties, art shows, bike polo, and plenty of bike films, in both San Francisco and Oakland. Check the festival's website for a complete schedule of events.
- Tuesday: SPUR Evening Symposium: The Rational City: The troubled legacy of top-down planning. Panelists will discuss how modernist planners and architects sought to address substandard housing conditions and provide light, air and green space through urban planning and design, but in so doing destroyed many of the places they tried to save. 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: TransForm Regional Meeting: What Road Pricing Can Mean for Low-Income People and Transportation Options. Learn about current transportation and land use issues, including road pricing and SB 375, California's landmark climate change bill, and hear from organizations working on these issues. Orientation: 5:00 p.m. Main meeting: 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Saturday: Pavement to Parks Ride. Join the San Francisco Great Streets Project on a non-strenuous ride as they check out the sites of San Francisco's newest public space movement. The ride starts at the city's first Pavement to Parks site in the Castro, and will continue on to the three sites soon to be reclaimed in Potrero, Southern Mission and the Excelsior. 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Sunday Streets in the Mission. Check out the second Mission Sunday Streets: this is your last chance to walk, bike, skate, dance, and generally play in car-free streets in the Mission this year. The first one was a blast, and this should certainly mark a high point in the summer. (PDF Route map.) 10:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m.
- Sunday: Streetsblog San Francisco Party! Immediately after Mission Sunday Streets, join us for Streetsblog San Francisco's summer street party! In the spirit of PARK(ing) day, we plan to put down some sod, fire up the barbecue, hand out swag, and dance to the tunes of DJ Deep on his trike, in front of Valencia Cyclery on Valencia between 21st and 22nd. 2:00 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.