This Week in Livable Streets Events
It’s a quiet week on the Livable Streets Calendar, as in quiet enough to hear the roar of the ocean at a car-free Great Highway this Sunday. Here are the week’s highlights, leading up to the penultimate 2009 Sunday Streets.
- Tuesday: SFBC Treehouse Talk: Bike Plan 2009 – the rest of the Plan. We’ve adopted the Bike Plan and approved dozens of near-term improvement projects for the Bike Network. But what’s in the rest of the Bike Plan? Bikes on Muni? Colored pavement for bike lanes? Physically separated bikeways? Bike boulevards? Join the SFBC and City staff for this conversation to learn what else is in the Bike Plan and how to make it real. 6:30 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Citizen Planning Institute Series Final Session: Local Government’s Role in Low-Carbon Development. Traditional traffic models rely on "outdated data and assumptions and don’t measure many things we care about such as air pollution and climate impacts." How can cities and counties use updated models and new proposed CEQA guidelines to encourage low carbon development? Registration required. 4 p.m.
- Saturday: Different Spokes Monthly Jersey Ride. Join Different Spokes, the San Francisco Bay Area’s GLBT cycling club for its monthly Jersey Ride. All are welcome. The ride offers different distance and level options. 8:30 a.m.
- Saturday: SFBC Bike Buddy Route Ride: Downtown to the Bayview-Hunter’s Point. Learn the best commute route from downtown to Bayview-Hunter’s Point. New riders are encouraged. 2 p.m.
- Sunday: Sunday Streets at the Beach. Finally, Sunday Streets comes to the Sunset! Great Highway will be open to pedestrians and bicyclists from Golden Gate Park to the San Francisco Zoo, along Ocean Beach (route map PDF.) This is the second to last chance this year to come out and play in the streets. 10 a.m.-2 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.