This Week in Livable Streets Events
It's a pleasing week ahead in the livable streets calendar, aside from the dour discussion of AC Transit service cuts. With Bicycle Diaries creating a ton of buzz, author David Byrne will check into San Francisco to raise our spirits. Here's a taste of what's in store.
- Monday: How Copenhagen Became a Cycling City. Copenhagen was an automobile-centered city. Huge public demonstrations in the early 1980s resulted in significant changes in the transportation infrastructure and in the years since it has become of one the preeminent cycling cities in the world. This round table Q&A session features Niels Jensen, Senior Traffic Planner, City of Copenhagen. 5:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: David Byrne hosts Bike Advocacy and the Urban Environment. City Arts and Lectures will host David Byrne just in time for the launch of his new book, Bicycle Diaries, which features personal anecdotes from his wide travels and a "strong argument for the way a bicycle can change our view of the world and the city in which we live." With SFBC's Leah Shahum. 8 p.m.
- Tuesday: SPUR Evening Forum: Good Design SF. Min Day Architecture, Mike and Maaike, Stamen Design, Surface Design, Kuth Ranieri Architects and Volume present simple design solutions to some of the city’s most pressing issues. 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: AC Transit Board of Directors Meeting. Have your say at this public hearing on service "adjustments" in Special District 2 (South Alameda County - Fremont/Newark Area). 6 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: A new Doyle Drive. With funding from the federal stimulus package, the new Presidio Parkway is slated to start construction this fall, replacing Doyle Drive. Join this discussion on the project with Jose Luis Moscovich and Ignacio Barandiaran of the SFCTA. 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday: SFBC Monthly Good Roads Ride: Back to the Bayview. Join the Good Roads Crew in their endeavor to mark every pothole, crack, and trench with spray paint and turn them in to 311 for rapid repair. 10 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.