SPUR’s discussion series is back in force this week, with talks ranging from great streets to parking. Across the Bay, this week also holds important opportunities to give input on BRT and help out the local bike coalition. Here are the highlights:
- Monday: Community Meeting: Oakland BRT. Come to this community meeting to make sure the Oakland City Council hears your voice on a planned BRT system. 6-8 p.m.
- Tuesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The World’s Great Streets: Best practices from home and abroad. Join SPUR for a discussion with David Alumbaugh, the acting director of Citywide Planning and manager of the SF Planning Department’s City Design Group, Adam Varat, manager for the Better Streets Plan and Neil Hrushowy, manager of the Planning Department’s pedestrian program. 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The Sustainable Sites Initiative: Metrics for a greener city. The Sustainable Sites Initiative is billed as the nation’s first rating system for the design, construction and maintenance of sustainable landscapes. Learn about the program’s new ratings system, and hear about case studies that demonstrate the process of landscape measurement. 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: East Bay Bicycle Coalition Volunteer Night. Roll on down to EBBC’s volunteer night. With just an hour or two of envelope stuffing, you can really help make EBBC tick. Plus, you’ll be in the good company of fellow bicyclists. Dinner is provided. 5-8 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The Parking Problem: Balancing local needs with regional aims. Join SPUR for a discussion of how we can resolve the tension between local and regional parking concerns. With Redwood City Downtown Development Coordinator Dan Zack, and the Metropolitan Transportation Commission’s Valerie Knepper and Doug Johnson. 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday: SFBC Architecture Ride – The Reid Brothers in SF. From the turn of the 20th Century through its first few decades, James and Merritt Reid designed an "impressive number of San Francisco’s buildings, from theaters to hotels, office towers to townhouses, bandshells to barns" with "scant professional training." Come discover some of their work and hear their story. 1:30 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.