This Week in Livable Streets Events
Like a good love triangle, there are two Valentine’s Day-related events for local urbanists to choose between this Friday. But first, show your love for Muni on Tuesday. Here are the week’s highlights:
- Tuesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Our Better Nature: A conversation with author Philip J. Dreyfus. Join environmental historian Philip J. Dreyfus to discuss his new book Our Better Nature: Environment and the Making of San Francisco. Learn how cities develop by reshaping nature and how "re-imagining the place of our cities in nature is necessary for building a more environmentally equitable world." 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Town Hall Meeting. With drastic service cuts looming, this is your chance to speak up for Muni. 6-8 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Shanghai’s Fabric of Everyday Life: A conversation with UC Berkeley professor Renee Chow. This talk describes the evolution of urbanism in Shanghai from its early settlement within the Yangtze River Delta to its rapid fragmentation. 12:30 p.m.
- Friday: SFBC’s Love on Wheels. The SFBC plays cupid for another round of Love on Wheels, the dating game exclusively for bicyclists, just like the original 1970’s game show. 6-10 p.m.
- Friday: SPUR Young Urbanists: Love is in the Air: City Connections Happy Hour. From SPUR: "Love is in the air and it’s the time to socialize with your city. Join us to make new friends and find out how to engage with some of San Francisco’s hottest networks." 6 p.m.
- Saturday: Do the Wiggle Bike Tour. Celebrate the route bicyclists generally use to avoid hills. A natural history of the Wiggle with plenty of social history thrown in. 12:45-2:30 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.