This week, check out an exhibit of green structures to fill the city’s wasted spaces, brainstorm transportation and technology ideas at TransportationCamp West, and get ready to kick off this year’s Sunday Streets season. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar :
- Tuesday: Exhibit Opening Party – Local Code : Real Estates . This SPUR exhibit features UC Berkeley Professor Nicholas de Monchaux’s more than 200 models of proposed designs for green infrastructure to “replenish San Francisco’s 529 acres of ‘unaccepted streets,’ leftover parcels whose presence tracks” pressing urban social and environmental issues. 6 pm.
- Thursday: SF Planning Commission meeting . On the agenda is a planned park at 17th and Folsom Streets which is being appealed by a few merchants who want to keep the entire current parking lot. Show your support for more public green spaces in the Mission. 10:30 am.
- Friday: San Jose Bike Party . Hop on your bike, horse, or rocket ship for this month’s Space vs. Cowboys themed bike ride in the South Bay with stops for people to dance and mingle along the way. 7:30 pm.
- Saturday and Sunday: TransportationCamp West . This weekend-long “unconference brings together thinkers and doers in the fields of transportation and technology for a weekend of learning, debating, connecting, and creating.” Participants will shape discussion sessions by bringing the freshest ideas to the table on how to improve urban mobility using the latest advances in increasingly inexpensive technology. 9 am.
- Sunday: Sunday Streets . Head out to the Embarcadero to kick off the first of this year’s season of eight exciting events that will open up the streets as car-free places for people to walk, run, bike, skate, dance, and play for the afternoon. The route goes from Fisherman’s Wharf all the way down to Terry Francois Street. 11 am.