This week, join a screening and discussion of the film The End of Suburbia, get a sneak peek at work being done on the city’s library branches, and spot some of the city’s avian wildlife on two wheels. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar :
- Tuesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Greening Apartment Buildings . Join green building consultant Raphael Sperry and SPUR policy director Laura Tam for a discussion on retrofitting existing multi-family apartment buildings for water, energy and material conservation. 12:30 pm.
- Wednesday: TransForum: Beyond Suburbia . Watch the eye-opening peak oil documentary The End of Suburbia and join a discussion led by Transportation for America organizer Shannon Tracey on “how past federal transportation bills led us towards suburbia and how the upcoming new bill could turn the tide on sprawl in favor of public transportation, walking, and biking.” 6 pm.
- Thursday: From Andrew Carnegie to today: San Francisco’s branch libraries . SPUR takes you on a bus tour of the city’s 24 library branches under renovation and construction as part of the SF Public Library’s Branch Library Improvement Program, the “largest capital building campaign in its history,” with City Librarian Luis Herrera and Donna Bero, Executive Director of Friends of San Francisco Public Library. “From historic restorations, to mid-century upgrades, to brand-new civic landmarks, the BLIP program is shaping the future of San Francisco’s remarkable public library system.” 12:30 pm.
- Friday: Critical Mass . Reclaim the streets for bicycles in San Francisco’s world-famous monthly tradition of rolling out in a non-motorized mass of lights and music throughout the city. 6 pm.
- Sunday: SF Bicycle Coalition Rec Ride: Birding by Bike . Roll out in search of winter and spring birds in the trees of San Francisco’s grand Presidio and Golden Gate parks with amateur ornithologist and experienced birding trip guide David Armstrong. 8:45 am.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line .