This Week in Livable Streets Events
- Monday: The SF Board of Supervisors City Operations and Neighborhood Services Committee holds hearings on switchbacks on the 14-Mission line and the unreliability of the J-Church. The hearings were called by Supervisors Avalos and Wiener. 4 pm.
- Tuesday: The SF Board of Supervisors meets. On the agenda is a hearing on the Parkmerced redevelopment, a planning code amendment establishing restrictions on new garages, the appointment of SFMTA Deputy Director Carter Rohan to the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, a requirement for commercial ground-floor uses on Fillmore Street, and more. 2 pm.
- Wednesday: District 2 Walking Tour with Supervisor Mark Farrell. Join SPUR and Supervisor Mark Farrell for a tour of District 2 with the area’s newest elected representative, visiting his favorite spots in neighborhoods like the Marina, Cow Hollow, Pacific Heights, and Laurel Heights. 12 pm.
- Thursday: Lessons from Amsterdam: How S.F. Can Bicycle Toward Greatness. SF Mayoral candidate David Chiu and SF Bicycle Coalition Executive Director Leah Shahum share what they took away from their experiences in Amsterdam, one of the world’s greatest cycling cities. Learn what San Francisco can do to make cycling normal for everyone. 5:30 pm.
- Thursday: Reclaiming the Street. This panel discussion with Kit Hodge of the Great Streets Project, Architect and Planner David Winslow, and Streetsblog SF editor Bryan Goebel focuses on shared streets that prioritize pedestrian uses, also known as “woonerfs” in Dutch, looking at examples from cities around the world. 7 pm.
- Friday: SF Bike Party. Get your costume ready and your weekend rolling with this month’s “Cyborgs and Robots”-themed bike ride and dance party. 7:30 pm.
- Saturday: SFBC Healthy Saturdays Kick-Off Picnic. This year’s six months of Saturday street openings on JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park starts this weekend in addition to the regular Sundays. The SFBC will be having a casual picnic to celebrate alongside its wonderful Freedom From Training Wheels program that teaches kids to ride freely on the car-free road. 12 pm.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.