This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week, a Board of Supervisors committee holds a hearing on citywide pedestrian safety issues, Supervisor Scott Wiener offers a walking tour of District 8, Balboa Park Station celebrates its grand new walkway, the SFMTA hears comments on a two-way Haight Street, and the SFBC helps build momentum for the JFK bikeway in Golden Gate Park. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: The Board of Supervisors City Operations and Neighborhood Services Committee meets. A hearing on citywide pedestrian safety issues called by Supervisor Eric Mar will include a presentation of the annual report from the Pedestrian Safety Advisory Committee. The supervisors are expected to press agency officials on the need for immediate improvements to reduce pedestrian risks in the city. 10 am.
- Tuesday: The Board of Supervisors meets. On the agenda is the adoption of an amendment facilitating urban agriculture, waiving permit fees for stairway improvements on 48th Avenue at Balboa Street, amending the city’s General Plan to adopt the Mission District Streetscape Plan, and more. 2 pm.
- Thursday: District 8 tour with Supervisor Scott Wiener. Join SPUR and Supervisor Wiener for a walking tour of District 8, stopping by the representative’s favorite spots including the Castro and Mission Dolores. 12:30 pm.
- Friday: Balboa Park Station Westside Entrance & Walkway Ribbon Cutting. For decades, users of Balboa Park Station have lacked a convenient and safe way to access Ocean Avenue by foot or by bike. BART will celebrate the opening of a newly completed ramp that will help welcome transit riders to the system’s busiest station outside of downtown San Francisco. 10 am.
- Friday: The SFMTA will hold a hearing on engineering projects including a proposal to allow buses to travel both ways all the way down Haight Street to Market. Speak up to help speed up trips on the 71-Haight and 6-Parnassus. 10 am.
- Saturday: MLK Jr. Way Streetscape Workshop. Oakland is looking to redesign a section of Martin Luther King, Jr. Way. Help guide the project toward a more complete street that works for all road users. 10 am.
- Sunday: SFBC Connecting the City Outreach for JFK Drive Bikeway. Help get the word out on the proposed separated, two-way bikeway on John F. Kennedy Drive in Golden Gate Park that would make for a safer, more enjoyable ride to work and to the park’s many lovely destinations. 1 pm.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.