This Week in Livable Streets Events
Posted By Aaron Bialick On May 2, 2011 @ 9:24 am In Livable Streets Events | No Comments
This week, learn about the exciting plans for Fisherman’s Wharf, celebrate spring at the SF Bike Party, take an interactive historical tour of Hayes Valley, and enjoy car-free Sunday Streets in the Mission. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar 
- Monday and Tuesday: Realizing the Vision of a High-Speed Rail System in California . This conference, hosted by UC Berkeley’s Center for Environmental Public Policy, ”aims to inform the next stage in policy design and implementation to develop a HSR system for California from a multidisciplinary perspective. Come gather with top national and international researchers, business leaders, policy practitioners and experts” such as author Peter Calthorpe to discuss the challenges and the impacts high-speed rail could have on the state.
- Tuesday: The SFMTA Board of Directors ‘ agenda includes a host of various fee increases, Ocean Avenue improvements, agreements for the Treasure Island development, and presentations on the Central Subway, Church and Duboce and Islais Creek projects. 1 pm.
- Wednesday: The Future of Fisherman’s Wharf . Join Neil Hrushowy and David Alumbaugh from the San Francisco Planning Department and Kevin Carroll of the Fisherman’s Wharf Community Benefit District for this SPUR Lunchtime Forum on the planned redesign of Jefferson Street as a pedestrian-priority street that will provide “the space to leisurely enjoy the numerous restaurants, shops, historic attractions and views of the Bay.” 12:30 pm.
- Thursday: The SF Board of Supervisors Rules Committee’s  agenda includes the nomination of Joél Ramos to the SFMTA Board of Directors as well as appointments to the Pedestrian Safety Advisory Committee, the Eastern Neighborhood Citizens Advisory Committee, the Western SoMa Citizens Planning Task Force, and the establishment of a Citizen’s Advisory Committee for the Central Market Street and Tenderloin Area. 1:30 pm.
- Friday: San Francisco Bike Party . Celebrate the season of spring, “that beautiful time of year when the sun comes out, the flowers bloom, and people come out to play” with a bike ride and party through North Beach, Fort Mason, and the Presidio, ending at Civic Center Plaza. 7:30 pm.
- Saturday: Nerd Out with Walk SF: Hayes Valley Caption WALC . San Francisco natural historian Joel Pomerantz leads a specialized Thinkwalk  “from Hayes Green to Alamo Square that incorporates photos, maps, and clues for you to figure out. Topics will cover historical geography, urban development, transportation, urban agriculture and population flows that reflect the economic and social boomtown excitement of San Francisco.” 1 pm.
- Sunday: Sunday Streets in the Mission . Spend an afternoon playing and relaxing with friends and family on the car-free streets of Valencia and 24th in the Mission District, one of the most popular events of the year for Sunday Streets. 11 am.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line .
Article printed from Streetsblog San Francisco: http://sf.streetsblog.org
URL to article: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/05/02/this-week-in-livable-streets-events-90/
URLs in this post:
 the Streetsblog calendar: http://sf.streetsblog.org/category/events/
 Realizing the Vision of a High-Speed Rail System in California: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/04/24/realizing-the-vision-of-a-high-speed-rail-system-in-california/
 The SFMTA Board of Directors: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/05/01/sfmta-board-of-directors-meeting-5/
 The Future of Fisherman’s Wharf: http://spur.org/events/calendar/future-fisherman%E2%80%99s-wharf
 SF Board of Supervisors Rules Committee’s: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/05/01/sf-board-of-supervisors-rules-committee-meeting-2/
 San Francisco Bike Party: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/05/02/san-francisco-bike-party-rites-of-spring/
 Nerd Out with Walk SF: Hayes Valley Caption WALC: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/04/19/hayes-valley-caption-walc-walking-around-linking-clues-with-joel-pomerantz-of-thinkwalks/
 Thinkwalk: http://www.thinkwalks.org/
 Sunday Streets in the Mission: http://sf.streetsblog.org/2011/04/24/sunday-streets-3/
 Drop us a line: http://sf.streetsblog.org/suggest-event/
Click here to print.