This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week, give your input on the planned JFK Drive bikeway, help envision a garden next to the Central Freeway, join the Bicycle Music Festival caravan, and explore the alleyways of SoMa. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: John F. Kennedy Drive Bikeway Community Meeting. A separated bikeway is being planned on JFK Drive in Golden Gate Park, and the SFMTA is holding a community meeting tonight where you can give your input on how to create a truly safe road for everyone 8-80 years old. 6:30 pm.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board of Directors Policy and Governance Committee Meeting. The committee will discuss separated bikeways on Fell and Oak Streets, parking enforcement and deployment, and hear reports on service performance and the SFPD Traffic Company. 10 am.
- Wednesday: SoMa West Workshop: McCoppin Hub Space Re-Visioning. McCoppin Street, a short stretch next to the end of the Central Freeway in the North Mission, is planned for major streetscape improvements, including the creation of a garden in the “McCoppin Hub” adjacent to the freeway wall. The SF Office of Workforce and Economic Development is holding a meeting to update the community and field input on the coming projects. 6:30 pm.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Realigning state and local services. In light of state budget cuts coming to redevelopment agencies and other services, policy proposals are being put forward to realign state and local government responsibilities. Fred Silva, senior policy advisor for CA Forward, will discuss “how those proposals may impact governance and operations at the local level, and how it fits with CA Forward’s policy work in fiscal and democracy reform.” 12:30 pm.
- Friday: San Jose Bike Party: That 70’s Ride. “It’s time to dig out your bellbottoms (make sure they don’t get caught in the chain) and find your platform shoes because this months theme pays tribute to the ’70s. Think disco, leisure suits, big hair, mood rings, pet rocks, and all-steel bikes.” 7:30 pm.
- Saturday: Bicycle Music Festival. A caravan of 15 bands, a stage and hundreds of people on bike will bring music to streets throughout the city, stopping to set up bicycle-powered concerts while having a blast. 12 pm.
- Saturday: SoMa Alleys & Gardens Walk. Join WalkSF and explore SoMa’s alleyways, which are becoming calm pedestrian refuges from dangerous motor traffic sewers. “Meet the locals and see what SOMA streets need. We’ll walk the alleys, visit a park and beautiful community gardens, and end with an optional wine-tasting!” 1 pm.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.