This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week, learn about the city’s Outside Lands, help develop the city’s response to the Sustainable Communities Strategy, see a vision from some residents for the northeast waterfront, ride out in your favorite color at the East Bay Bike Party, and enjoy Golden Gate Park and Ocean Beach free of cars. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Wednesday: Thinkwalks: Outside Lands Tour. Join San Francisco natural historian Joel Pomerantz on a walk from the Haight to the Museums of Golden Gate Park to learn about the Outside Lands, “the dune areas beyond San Francisco’s original borders, thought to be a wasteland,” now “one of the nicest places in town.” 10 am.
- Wednesday: Director’s Forum: San Francisco’s Response to the Sustainable Communities Strategy (SCS). The Directors of the San Francisco Transportation Authority, the San Francisco Planning Department, and the Department of the Environment hold “a forum to discuss development of a shared message” to the regional SCS being proposed by the MTC and the ABAG. “Help us delve into this somewhat complicated regional planning process, and eventually, confirm a collective San Francisco message that we can all advocate for at the regional level.” 11 am.
- Thursday: SF Planning Commission Hearing. On the agenda is a presentation called “A Community Vision for San Francisco’s Northeast Waterfront,” laying out what one group of citizens would like to see for a more livable, sustainable, and prosperous Embarcadero. 12 pm.
- Friday: East Bay Bike Party. This month’s theme is “monochromaticism.” “Pick one color and rock it! Dress to match your bike, the sky, your shoes, your mood… there’s no wrong choice, so run with it.” 7:30 pm.
- Saturday: Shaping SF’s Labor History Bike Tour. “From the pre-urban history of Indian Slavery to the earliest 8-hour day movement in the U.S., the ebb and flow of class war is traced… This is an entirely different look, during a four hour bike tour, at San Francisco labor history.” 12 pm.
- Sunday: Sunday Streets: Golden Gate Park and Great Highway. Pedal, play, run, and tan on car-free streets from the Panhandle to the beach to the zoo at San Francisco’s “official block party.” 11 am to 4 pm.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.