This week, Dutch bicycle planners give some advice to San Francisco, join the discussion on SF’s response to the region’s planning strategy, and celebrate bicycle culture all weekend long. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday and Tuesday: ThinkBike SF opening and closing sessions. Dutch bicycle infrastructure design experts are in town to lead a series of workshops with staff from the SFMTA and the SFBC on how “to address challenges to cycling in San Francisco,” sharing the lessons learned in the Netherlands and “making specific recommendations on how San Francisco can improve the comfort and safety of its bicycle route network.” Opening: Mon at 9 am, Closing: Tues at 6 pm.
- Tuesday: The SF Board of Supervisors meets. On the agenda are David Chiu’s resolution urging the SFMTA to continue further pilot projects to divert cars off of Market Street, funding for bike lanes on Cargo Way, and penalties for fraudulent applications for residential parking permits. 2 pm.
- Wednesday: San Francisco’s Response to the SCS. Join top officials representing San Francisco’s urban planning agencies – the SF Planning Department, the MTC, the SFMTA, the SFCTA, and the Mayor’s Office of Housing – at this public meeting to discuss the city’s role in the regional Sustainable Communities Strategy being developed to meet the Bay Area’s greenhouse gas reduction targets as mandated by state SB 375. 1 pm.
- Thursday: SF Planning Commission Hearing. On the agenda are a residential development at 15th St./South Van Ness Ave. with a nearly 1:1 parking ratio, a cathedral expansion on Valencia and 14th Streets with 58 parking spaces, and more. 10 am.
- Thursday thru Sunday: Bicycle Film Festival. Celebrate bicycle culture on the big screen all weekend long with a street party, live music, rides, screenings and more.
- Saturday: Tour de Fat. Bikes and beer never went better together than at this free, fun-filled summer day in Golden Gate Park with the bicycle-loving New Belgium Brewery. Enjoy circus-esque shows, attempt to ride bicycle-like contraptions, and grab a Fat Tire knowing all beer proceeds support the SF Bike Coalition. 9 am to 4 pm.
- Sunday: Walk SF’s Peak2Peak Walk. San Francisco’s pedestrian advocacy organization leads this annual “near half-marathon of urban streets, hidden staircases, park trails, and glorious views — all with the civilized comforts of coffee shops, lunch in a meadow, and public transit to get you there and home.” 9:30 am.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.