This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week, join us for drinks as we say farewell to our editor Bryan Goebel, join the circus that is the SF Bike Party, and see how sidewalk interventions can help “Reclaim Market Street!” Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Modeling the region’s future. “As the Bay Area debates and develops its first combined Regional Transportation Plan and Sustainable Communities Strategy, the modelers at the Metropolitan Transportation Commission (MTC) and the Association of Bay Area Governments (ABAG) are analyzing how far our regional decisions about transportation investments, policies and land-use changes will get us towards goals of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and driving.” Join David Ory of the MTC and Michael Reilly of ABAG to learn “how the regional models work and why they are important for regional planning.” 12:30 pm.
- Tuesday: Going Away Drinks with Bryan Goebel. Streetsblog and members of the local livable streets community are gathering to commemorate Bryan Goebel as he departs from three excellent years as editor of Streetsblog San Francisco. Streetsblog’s role in bringing sustainable transportation issues to the forefront in the Bay Area could not have had the impact that it has without Bryan’s journalistic expertise and dedication, and he will be missed. Join us for drinks at the 50 Mason Social House to say farewell. 7 pm.
- Wednesday: Walk to School Day. Kids at schools everywhere will enjoy the bipedal commute on International Walk to School Day, which “gives children, parents, school staff and community members an opportunity to work together to make their communities safer and more pleasant for walking.”
- Thursday: SF Planning Commission Hearing. On the agenda is a new 40-unit residential building at 15th Street and South Van Ness with 39 off-street car parking spots, a building at Grant and Sutter with up to .75 car parking spots per unit, and the addition of garages at two other residential buildings. 12 pm.
- Friday: SF Bike Party. “Remember when you were a kid and you wanted to run away and join the circus? Well, step right up, the time has come, one night only!” The theme of this month’s ride is “Under the Big Top” – get out your unicycles and juggling pins for a breezy roll through the flat SoMa, Potrero Hill and Financial districts. 7:30 pm.
- Saturday: Reclaim Market Street! Sidewalk Intervention. SPUR exhibits a series of artist interventions along Market Street as part of its ongoing Reclaim Market Street! exhibition to explore how we can “redefine the social life of the sidewalk. Amidst the hustle and bustle of commerce and business how do we slow to the pace of conversation, interaction or reflection? Can we create places to sit, make or play?” 12 pm.
- Sunday: 439 Steps: West Portal to the Inner Sunset. Walk SF explores “the ups and downs west of Twin Peaks” and “many of the little known stairways and parks in Forest Hills and Golden Gate Heights. En route we’ll pass stately Maybeck-designed mansions, misty open spaces, San Francisco’s tallest mosaic, and the city’s best swing. Finish with a beverage and a bite to eat near 9th and Judah (if you choose).” 11 am.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.