Streetsblog is looking for a talented journalist to shape and oversee coverage throughout our growing family of news sites.
The Managing Editor will work with the Editor-in-Chief and our roster of editors and reporters to hone Streetsblog’s coverage of transportation and planning issues, grow our audience, and bring our brand of advocacy journalism to more cities.
We welcome applications from journalists with extensive experience in new media and a keen sense of transportation policy and politics, who share our vision of Streetsblog as a respected, influential source of information and commentary.
Streetsblog currently publishes four city-based sites, a national policy and livable streets news site, and highlights from bloggers around the country who belong to the Streetsblog Network. Reporting to the Editor-in-Chief, the Managing Editor will work directly with our team of reporters and editors to assign and select stories, edit drafts for content and style, write headlines, present graphics, and share content on social media.
Streetsblog content runs the gamut from video- or photo-based posts with scant text to 2,000-word enterprise pieces with detailed reporting. On any given day, stories might deal with bikeway design, infrastructure financing, traffic-related case law, parking policy, or a range of other topics that affect the quality of city streets. Most posts must be situated within a specific political context and/or advocacy campaign. The Managing Editor will shape and fine-tune every type of post, from headline to kicker, to achieve the desired impact.
In addition to possessing excellent writing and editing skills, applicants should be enthusiastic about the notion that journalism can be conducted with integrity and fidelity to the truth while espousing a clear point of view. The ideal candidate will have the background knowledge and analytical skills to accurately process information and make sense of it for a mass audience in a timely manner. A passion for livable streets is essential.
The managing editor will:
- Work remotely with other editors and reporters to structure, refine, fact-check, and copy edit their work, creating a daily stream of original news and content for audiences in multiple cities.
- Think strategically about how to cover ongoing stories, such as pieces of legislation or specific street redesigns, and apply those strategies to the development of content.
- Manage the appearance of Streetsblog landing pages by writing heds and deks and selecting graphics.
- Report and write original news and commentary, as time permits.
- Assist the Editor in Chief and Development Director with business development and fundraising as needed.
- Oversee the launch of Streetsblog expansion sites together with the Editor in Chief.
- Excellent writing and reporting skills, as evidenced by clips.
- Deep knowledge of progressive urban planning, transportation, and land use topics.
- Previous experience editing reporters, ideally covering transportation or planning issues.
- Experience with WordPress or other blogging/content production platforms, familiarity with basic HTML and basic PhotoShop, experience using Twitter and Facebook as media platforms.
Salary commensurate with experience. While preference will be given to candidates based in NYC, the Managing Editor may be based anywhere in the United States.
Send a resume, cover letter, and relevant clips/links to firstname.lastname@example.org.