Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday Today! The Past and Future City. The new book The Past and Future City addresses how historic preservation can go beyond the physical renovation of old buildings and address issues like affordable housing, inequality, sustainability and displacement. Join SPUR for a discussion about the changing role of preservation with the book’s author, Stephanie Meeks. Monday, today! Jan. 9, 12:30 pm, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF. Free event.
- Monday Tonight! Emeryville Bike Ped Advisory Subcommittee Meeting: Powell Street Safety Discussion. Regular every-other-month meeting of the Emeryville Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Subcommittee, which reviews city bikeway/development plans and advises staff on funding/planning proposals. Open to the public. Tonight! Monday, Jan. 9, 5:30-7:30 pm, Emeryville City Hall, Garden Room (basement floor), 1333 Park Ave, Emeryville.
- Tuesday Bike and Roll to School in the Excelsior. The SF Bicycle Coalition leads a “bike train” from Excelsior Playground Hub to nearby elementary schools. Join parents, teachers and students who gather with bikes and scooters (and helmets!). If you take the bus or drive to school, hop off MUNI at Madrid and Persia, or park the car and come join the fun. There are also “walking school buses” for walkers and strollers. Tuesday, Jan. 10, 8-9:15 am, Excelsior Playground, 579 Madrid St., SF.
- Wednesday Public Places for People. San Francisco is a leader in tactical urbanism and the innovative use of public space. Come hear about a number of projects–including the Stockton Street Winter Walk, new work by Groundplay, the landmark Places for People ordinance and the Planning Department’s tactical urbanism program–that set the standard for citizen-driven urban public spaces. Wednesday, Jan. 11, 12:30, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF. Free for SPUR members, $10 for non-members.
- Thursday January BikeWinter Happy Hour. Venture up to North Beach for the January BikeWinter Happy Hour. Check in with Santa by 7:15 and you’ll have a chance to win lights, fenders, and other BikeWinter goodies. Thursday, Jan. 12, 6-8 pm. International Sports Bar, 1000 Columbus Ave., SF.
- Thursday Women Bike Book Club. In partnership with Bike East Bay, the Oakland Public Library is co-hosting the Women Bike Book Club in 2017. Bike East Bay’s Women Bike program enters its second year of bringing women and gender nonconforming folks together in social settings to share experiences and resources with each other. Everyone is invited to discuss biking, feminism, and the intersection of the two. Thursday, Jan. 12, 6-7:30 pm, Rockridge Branch Library, 5366 College Ave, Oakland.
- Friday Coffee With a Wonk: SPUR Senior Policy Advisor Sarah Karlinsky. Got ideas or questions about your city? Thoughts on transportation or affordable housing? An interest in zoning or an obsession with BRT? Come to SPUR’s St. Clare cafe on Friday to discuss policy and planning with thinkers and planners about housing. Friday, Jan. 13, 9 am. SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF. Free event.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.