This Week: Bike and Roll to School, Fossil-Free Bay Area, Bike to Work Day
Sorry the most interesting events are all on Tues. and Wed!
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday Bike and Roll to School in the Excelsior. The SF Bicycle Coalition will lead a Bike & Roll to School “bike train” from Excelsior Playground Hub to nearby elementary schools. Join parents, teachers and students who gather with bikes and scooters (and helmets!). If you take the bus or drive to school, hop off MUNI at Madrid and Persia, or park the car and come join. There are also “walking school buses” for walkers and strollers. Heavy rain cancels the bike ride. We walk rain or shine. Tuesday, Feb. 7, 8-9:15 am, Excelsior Playground, 579 Madrid St., SF.
- Tuesday Fossil-Free Bay Area. The Bay Area has the resources, political temperament and innovative spirit to demonstrate how to work toward eliminating fossil fuel use. But is that spirit enough to go fossil-free? San Jose is doing exploratory work on a clean energy program, and SPUR’s latest report lays out an agenda for the region to transition to a high-efficiency, 100 percent renewable energy system that will create a model for other urban regions while improving climate resiliency. Tuesday, Feb. 7, 12:30 pm. SPUR San Jose, 76 South First Street, San Jose.
- Tuesday Bike to Work Day 2017 Kick-off Meeting #1. On May 11, over 20,000 East Bay residents will pedal-power their commute for Bike to Work Day, and they’ll do it with the support of over 100 energizer stations spaced around the region. Hosting one of these stations is a great volunteer and team-building opportunity for businesses and community organizations. Join Bike East Bay for a kick-off meeting to find out more about how you can get involved in Bike to Work Day. Tuesday, Feb. 7, 3-4:30 pm, Offices of TransForm, 436 14th St, 6th floor, Oakland. RSVP requested.
- Tuesday Bike Share Expansion Workshop: Excelsior, Balboa Park, and Outer Mission. Join Bay Area Bike Share to have a say in where the next Bike Share stations should be located in Excelsior, Balboa Park and Outer Mission. These workshops are also a way to learn about how bike sharing works in the Bay Area. Tuesday, Feb. 7, 6:30-8:00 pm. Excelsior Library, 4400 Mission Street, SF.
- Wednesday Civic Center Commons: Creating Inclusive Public Space. The city and community groups are mapping out new attractions for the Civic Center Commons–Civic Center Plaza, United Nations Plaza and the space between. Learn how they’ve outlined a road map for creating a truly inclusive public space. Wednesday, Feb. 8, 12:30 pm, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF.
- Wednesday Debates Worth Having: Does Inclusionary Housing Create Affordability? Many Bay Area cities require developers pay an affordable housing fee or, alternatively, offer a percentage of their units at a below-market-rate price. In theory, this increases the availability of affordable residential units, but its opponents argue that the opposite is actually true. Join us for a debate between two of the region’s housing experts on inclusionary housing. Co-presented by AIA San Francisco and ULI San Francisco. Wednesday, Feb. 8, 6:00 p.m., SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF.
- Wednesday February Bike Winter Happy Hour. The theme for BikeWinter’s February Happy Hour is one glove, one love. Many winter riders are hesitant to part with a sole glove after losing its mate–what if you later lose a glove from the opposite hand? If you’ve kept the initial single glove, you can still make yourself a functional pair of gloves, albeit mismatched. Bring along those single cycling gloves that you haven’t yet parted with, and you might find a mate sooner than you thought! Wednesday, Feb. 8, 6-8 pm, Mojo Bicycle Cafe, 639 Divisadero St., SF.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.