This Week: Vision Zero San Jose, Tech and Housing, Octavia Boulevard
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday What’s Next for Vision Zero in San Jose? San Jose has been working to eliminate traffic-related injuries and fatalities from its streets. As the city enters the third year of its Vision Zero commitment, come learn about what it has done and what it intends to do to make its streets safer for biking, walking and driving. Tuesday, April 4, 12:30, SPUR San Jose, 76 South First Street, San Jose.
- Wednesday Tech Companies and Housing. Tech employers are engaging the community on investments in housing, whether for their employees or for the communities impacted by the Bay Area’s rapid growth. How can this form of intervention help with the region’s housing shortage, and how successful has it been? Wednesday, April 5, 12:30 pm. SPUR San Jose, 76 South First Street, San Jose.
- Wednesday Outdoor Open House for Octavia Boulevard. The SFMTA has scheduled a series of public events that coincide with a trial week–long closure of Octavia Street adjacent to Patricia’s Green (Linden to Hayes), March 31 through April 7. At this outdoor open house learn about traffic safety and streetscape projects in the neighborhood, including ideas for a potential longer-duration pilot closure of Octavia St. to motor vehicles at Patricia’s Green. Wednesday, April 5, 4-7 pm, Proxy SF, 432 Octavia St., SF. There will also be an Octavia “Walk and Talk” on Thursday, April 6, 11:30-1:30 pm.
- Wednesday Fixing the Bay Area’s Growth Politics. How can we bridge the political divide around growth and development? Hear from SPUR’s panel and then join in the discussion. Co-presented by Northern California APA. Wednesday, April 5, 6 pm, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Bike Lanes & Repaving at Berkeley Public Works Commission. Bike East Bay is making a short presentation to the Public Works Commission starting around 7:15. Join them in asking for ‘state of the art’ bikeways in all of Berkeley’s repaving projects. Thursday, April 6, 7-8 pm, City of Berkeley Corporation Yard, Willow Room, Ratcliff Building, 1326 Allston Way, Berkeley.
- Friday Women Bike Bike SF Coffee Club. Once a month, an informal gathering of women, trans* and femme-identified folks meet to talk about bicycling in the city, share tips and caffeinate together. If you’re new to riding or interested but haven’t gotten rolling yet, this is a perfect place to find riding buddies and answer some of your questions about biking in SF. Friday, April 7, 8-9 am. The Mill, 736 Divisadero St., SF.
- Sunday Sunday Streets Bayview, Dogpatch. Come out and explore the 3rd Street corridor, with car-free fun. Sunday, April 9, 11-4 pm. 22nd Street to Donner Avenue on 3rd Street.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.