This Week: Byke Pride, Balboa Park, Broadway/Valdez
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday Byke Pride Service Station. Get ready to show off your byke pride. The SFBC’s Bicycle Ambassadors will be at the corner of Market and Octavia with the latest on their work, all sorts of snacks, and everything you need to know about riding in the Pride Parade. Tuesday, June 20, 5-7 p.m. Corner of Market & Octavia, SF.
- Wednesday Better Neighborhoods at Balboa Park. In 2009, San Francisco adopted the Balboa Park Station Area Plan as part of its Better Neighborhoods Program, resulting in new mixed-use development, public space, and pedestrian improvements along Ocean Avenue, as well as new concepts for the Upper Yard and Balboa Reservoir parcels in this transit-oriented yet lower-profile area. Come get an update on the impact of the plan and hear about the challenges and opportunities that remain. Co-presented by the San Francisco Housing Action Coalition (SFHAC). Wednesday, June 21, 12:30. SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Wednesday Building Broadway/Valdez. The Broadway/Valdez District Specific Plan is creating retail, commercial growth and housing just to the north of the 19th Street BART station. Come hear what the plan does and how individual projects in the works are helping to bring this plan to life. Wednesday, June 21, 12:30, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Resilient by Design. The Bay is a major amenity for our region, but its extensiveness also makes it daunting to anticipate and respond to sea-level rise. A new regional design challenge launching this summer, Resilient by Design, will bring together Bay Area communities and designers to envision the resilient waterfronts of our future. Get a sneak peak at the design brief and join a discussion of what’s to come before the challenge concludes in the spring of 2018. Thursday, June 22, 12:30, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Women Bike Happy Hour – San Leandro. Bike Walk San Leandro and Bike East Bay team up to host the next Women Bike Happy Hour in San Leandro. This happy hour will run parallel to Women Bike Happy Hour in Oakland. This month they’re looking forward to meeting up at Zocalo Coffeehouse. Thursday, June 21, 5:30-7:30 p.m., Zocalo Coffeehouse, 645 Bancroft Ave, San Leandro.
- Sunday SF Bicycle Coalition Pride Parade Contingent. Get your Byke Pride on with the SF Bicycle Coalition contingent in the 47th annual San Francisco Pride Parade. This is a fun and fabulous way to experience the parade firsthand–there is nothing quite like the thrill and exhilaration of riding down the center of Market Street in one of the biggest Pride celebrations in the world. You must be a current member of the SF Bicycle Coalition to ride in the contingent. Sunday, June 25, 9:30–1 p.m.
- Sunday Adults and Teens Learn-to-Ride Class. This is a class for adults or teens who have either not yet learned how to ride a bike, or learned a long time ago but want a refresher on the basics of balancing, pedaling, and steering. BikeEastBay’s trained instructors are friendly and patient, and they will help you get off to a great start in a safe, non-judgmental environment. Sunday, June 25, 10-1 p.m., 250 10th Street, Lincoln Square Recreation Center, 林肯廣場休閒中心, Oakland. Taught in English and Cantonese.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.