This Week: East Bay Bikeshare Launch, McLaren Park Revamp, North Beach History
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday East Bay Launch of Ford GoBike. Ford GoBike is organizing a celebration of its expansion into the East Bay with free giveaways, a scraper bike demo and special guest speakers, including the mayors of Oakland, Berkeley and Emeryville. Light refreshments will also be provided. Tuesday, July 11, 10-11 a.m. at Latham Plaza in downtown Oakland. At 11 there will be a community bike ride.
- Wednesday McLaren Park. McLaren Park is 330 acres. It’s beautiful, with great views, recreation, open fields, and everything anyone could ask for from an urban park, and yet it’s fairly unknown compared to other parks in the city. This summer, San Francisco’s Recreation and Parks Department is conducting a visioning process that will shape the future of the park. Come learn more about how that project will revitalize this historical park. Wednesday, July 12, 12:30, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Wednesday Spirited History: North Beach. With so many bars, you might just say the city has a spirited history. Join SPUR for a stroll through time as they explore North Beach and visit saloons with a historic past, some of which date back to the Gold Rush. They’ll have their minds on the past and their glasses raised. Generously sponsored by Kaiser Permanente. Wednesday, July 12, 5:30 p.m., Details to be sent ahead of tour. Email address: email@example.com. $10, SPUR members only.
- Thursday Summer of Bike Love Service Station. It’s the 50th Anniversary of the Summer of Love and the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition is celebrating by bringing the love to your commute. Stop by their Service Station at Polk and McAllister for a snack and learn the latest about what’s happening with bicycling improvements in the neighborhood. Thursday, July 13, 5-7 p.m., Polk Street at Mcallister Street, S.F.
- Thursday Folsom-Howard Near-Term Open House #1. Join SFMTA at two community open houses to see proposed designs that will upgrade Folsom and Howard in the interim while the larger streetscape project is underway. Proposed street upgrades include parking-protected bike lanes, loading zone improvements and transit boarding islands that were developed using feedback from the public and local business community. The SFMTA hopes to install these changes this winter. Thursday, July 13, 6:30-8:30 p.m., Gene Friend Recreation Center, 270 6th Street, S.F.
- Friday Coffee With A Wonk: Tim Chan. Come to SPUR’s St. Clare café to discuss policy and planning with BART manager of planning, Tim Chan. Friday, July 14, 9 a.m., SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Saturday Survey Ride – Andy’s Audits: Eastern Waterfront. Andy’s Audits are a series of “whole trip” evaluations of actual San Francisco bicycle journeys from point A to point B. They connect some real world dots by bicycle and measure where a bit more bike love could make the network light up for everyday biking. Come out and help survey the system as they roll around our cycling city. Saturday, July 15, 1:30-3:30 p.m., Pier 14, Embarcadero near Mission Street, S.F.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.