This Week: Silicon Valley Bike Summit, Bikes on Caltrain, Climate Goals
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday Silicon Valley Bike Summit. This is the 7th annual meeting of the Silicon Valley’s largest gathering of active transportation leaders and organizers from government, law enforcement, non-profits, and the public. Tuesday, August 8, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. Microsoft, SVC Building 1, 1065 La Avenida Street, Mountain View.
- Wednesday Caltrain Bike Outreach at 4th & King. Caltrain is increasing bike capacity on the coming new electric trains. To inform what the onboard storage will look like, they will be publicly testing two different options throughout August. This is your opportunity to give early input and talk to staff about Caltrain Modernization. Learn more at calmodtrains.com. Wednesday, August 9, 7:30 a.m.-7 p.m., Caltrain, 4th Street and Townsend Street, S.F. Note: Repeats on Thursday.
- Wednesday Can California Reach Its Most Ambitious Climate Goal? This summer, the California Air Resources Board is set to finalize the state’s plan to achieve its most ambitious climate targets yet: to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 40 percent below 1990 levels by 2030. Come hear about the biggest components of that plan and how specific measures could reduce emissions from two of the largest emitting sectors, electricity and transportation, to make the plan possible. Wednesday, August 9, 12:30, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Wednesday Richmond District Bike Happy Hour. Curious about the new design options for Eighth Avenue that prioritize people walking and biking? Want an update on the Arguello Boulevard bike lane? How about an update on the Golden Gate Park Traffic Safety Study? Join the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition for a happy hour to speak directly with an SFMTA planner about what’s going on in the neighborhood. Wednesday, August 9, 5:30-7 p.m., Richmond Republic Draught House, 642 Clement St., S.F.
- Thursday Drinks and Discourse: René Rivera. In this installment of SPUR’s exciting Young Urbanist series, they sit down with René Rivera, executive director of Bike East Bay. Come learn how Rivera shaped Bike East Bay into a fully staffed advocacy organization and more. Co-presented by Young Professionals in Transportation (YPT). Thursday, August 10, 6 p.m. SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Women Bike Book Club. Bike East Bay and the Oakland Public Library are co-hosting the Women Bike Book Club. Everyone is invited to discuss biking, feminism, and the intersection of the two. Thursday, August 10, 6-7:30 p.m., Golden Gate Library, 5606 San Pablo Ave, Oakland
- Saturday A Housing Tour on Two Wheels. What makes for quality affordable housing? Is it how it’s designed, how it holds up over the long term or a combination of both? Grab your bike and join SPUR for a tour of affordable housing in San Jose. Generously sponsored by Kaiser Permanente and co-presented by SV@Home and the Silicon Valley Bicycle Coalition. Saturday, August 12, 10 a.m., Details and location will be sent in advance to all registered participants. San Jose. For more info, email address is: email@example.com, Phone: 408.638.0083
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.