- Monday tonight! Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting. The Bicycle Advisory Committee meets to consider bicycle transportation projects and policies to make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors, the Municipal Transportation Agency, the County Transportation Authority, the San Francisco Police Department, and other City and County of San Francisco agencies. Monday, August 22, 6:30-7:30 p.m. City Hall room 408, 1 Dr. Carlton B Goodlett Place (Polk St).
- Tuesday A Real Estate Development Primer. How do developers decide what to build and where to build it? Which comes first: new infrastructure or new buildings? Learn some of the basics of urban real estate development from one of Silicon Valley’s most prolific developers. Tuesday, August 23, 6 p.m. SPUR San Jose, 76 South First Street, San Jose. Free for SPUR members. $10 for non-members. Pre-registration is not necessary for this event.
- Wednesday Architecture Next Now, Part 2. Many newer architectural practices in the Bay Area are establishing compelling trajectories in their work through innovative design mediums. How will these efforts shape the future of our cities? Come hear these firms debate the links between research, practice and culture while challenging the conventional strategies of architecture in the Bay Area. Wednesday, August 24, 6:00 p.m. SPUR Urban Center Gallery, 654 Mission Street, San Francisco. Free for SPUR members, $10 for non-members.
- Thursday Drinks & Discourse — Adhi Nagraj. Come grab a beer and hear from the key people who are shaping the region’s future. In this installment of SPUR’s newest Young Urbanist series, we talk with BRIDGE Housing’s director of development and chair of the Oakland Planning Commission to hear his thoughts on the cities of tomorrow, his current role and the career path that took him there. Thursday, August 25, 6:00 p.m., SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway. Admission is free.
- Saturday Learn Traffic Skills 101: On-Road with the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition. Practice what you learned in the Traffic Skills: Classroom. After a basic bike maintenance session, the class will practice bike maneuvering skills in a car-free practice area before riding on the streets in small groups led by instructors. You will gain experience riding alongside moving traffic in different traffic conditions and apply safe riding techniques practiced in the car-free space into real-life situations. Adults and anyone over 14 years of age are welcome; bicycle, helmet, and pre-registration required. Please bring your lunch. Saturday, August 27, 10:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m. 1899 Waller St., S.F.
- Saturday Cool Effect & Proof Lab present #LetsSave. Grab a cup of Equator Coffee, snag a bite to eat, and learn more about Cool Effect’s carbon-cutting mission—then support one of their climate change fighting projects to receive 10 percent off all your Proof Lab purchases. Saturday, August 27, 10 a.m., Proof Lab Surf Shop, 244 Shoreline Hwy., Mill Valley.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.