“Street Utopia” – Film and Food Festival (North Beach)
Street Utopia is an urban design festival showcasing film, food, and art that promotes Democracy & Egalitarianism in the public spaces of North Beach. The multi-media presentation offers:
* Two screens of International Films from Samso and Copenhagen (Denmark), Bogota (Colombia), Amsterdam (The Netherlands), Portland (Oregon), Budapest (Hungary), Curitiba (Brazil), and other cities that utilize environmentally sustainable and people-friendly policies.
* New art presented by North Beach residents: painter Lutzka Zivny, photographer Chris Ferris, and the children of Destination Art.
* Wall displays by Urban Ecology of proposed utopian building and redesign projects in North Beach: Vehicle-free Grant Avenue? "Poet’s Plaza" on car-free Vallejo between Columbus and Grant? Plant 500 trees? Repair & beautify Washington Square, for environmentally-friendly events? Widen sidewalks on Columbus? Audience opinions & suggestions will be solicited.
* "Street Food" by mobile sidewalk vendors: The Girl From Empanada, Bike Basket Pies, The Hot Dog Man.
* Brief public speeches, testimonies and manifestos presented orally by local street freedom activists.