This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week is packed with livable streets events: there are seven on Tuesday alone! Be sure to check the Streetsblog calendar for a full list. Here are the week’s highlights:
- Tuesday: TransForm TransForum: Is a ballot initiative the right way to protect state transit funds? Learn about a proposed statewide ballot initiative that would seek permanent protection of state funds for public transportation. 6-7:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFBC Video Premiere: "Sharing the Road with Cyclists". Catch this premiere screening of a new training video for transit operators, followed by a discussion of safety issues and ideas for future videos providing outreach to various bicycling and non-bicycling communities. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Shanghai’s past/present/future: Historically-sensitive development in Shanghai. Allowing a city to grow while preserving its history is an especial challenge in Shanghai, given its exceptional growth rate. But two San Francisco-based architecture firms are trying just that. Join SPUR for a presentation of two master plans for the historic Puxi district as well as redevelopment plans for the Huangpu River waterfront, which will newly incorporate the river into the city’s urban center. 12:30 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Stop circling the block: How technology will change parking in SF. Tod Dykstra of Streetline will show the methods and technology that are staged to change how the flow of parking is tracked and managed, with demonstrations of the hardware and software that make real-time, spot-by-spot tracking of parking a possibility. 12:30 p.m.
- Friday: WOBO Presents: An Evening with Willie Weir. Head across the Bay for a Walk Oakland Bike Oakland fundraiser featuring Willie Weir, world-traveling cyclist, author and Adventure Cycling columnist. Hear tales from Travels with Willie, which Bicycling magazine says, "…is one of the rare bike books that gets it right." 7 p.m.
- Sunday: Trips for Kids’ 12th annual "Brews, Bikes and Bucks" Fundraiser. Join Trips for Kids at a benefit party with food, drinks, music and a bike raffle. 2-6 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.