This Week in Livable Streets Events
This week is all about the weekend: check out four bike rides that will prepare you for the San Francisco Pride Parade and get you thinking about what happens to recycled materials. Here are the week’s highlights:
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board Meeting. The SFMTA Board is back after missing its last meeting due to lack of a quorum. Audits — of work orders, the agency’s performance, and financial statements — are all on the agenda. 12 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFBC Phone Banking. Volunteer to phone bank with the SFBC.
No cold calling, just simple reminders to friendly lapsed SFBC members
that their membership is expired. 5-8 p.m.
- Saturday: SFBC Rec Ride: Recycling Factory Ride. Check out this ride to the Pier 96 Recology Recycle Central recycling plant. Embark on a "rare and information-filled guided tour of the factory." 10 a.m.
- Saturday: Thinkwalks Bike Ride: The Big Shift tour. Before cars existed, Golden
Gate Park was created as an escape from urban pressures. On this ride, learn how it
turned into "a test tube for the cultural shift from horses and coal gas
balloons to bicycles and motor-carriages, from the spectacle of the
"Gilded Age" robber barons to a literal refuge for refugees." 12:45-3:15 p.m.
- Saturday: Monthly SF Bicycle Coalition Good Roads Ride: Fluff the Pride Parade Route. The Good Roads Crew will do its best to get Market Street in the pink for the annual Pride Parade the last Sunday of June. The ride will stop by the site of the 1966 pre-Stonewall riot where queer youth and drag queens stood down the police. 10 a.m.-12 p.m.
- Sunday: AIDS/LifeCycle 9 Ride. A seven-day fundraiser bike ride from San Francisco
to Los Angeles through some of California’s most scenic countryside. 6 a.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar
for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop
us a line.