National Walking Day
Walk. Stroll. Gallup. American Heart Association has designated April 3, 2013 as National Walking Day. We at Walk Score whole-heartedly support this effort. No surprise. Walking is one of the easiest ways to boost your health and prevent physical and mental illness. It’s free and with spring in the air and winter waning, now is the time to walk more. Suggestions for how to easily participate in National Walking Day:
- Walk to and/or from work.
- Walk to a public transit stop that’s a little further than your normal stop.
- Walk during lunch. Take a picnic and eat at a park. Vitamin D will drown any sorrows and new scenery will refresh your mind.
- Hold a walking meeting instead of conference room gatherings.
- Walk with a friend after work.
- Stand more often while working. Make any phone calls while standing.
Kudos to the American Heart Association for organizing such a simple and good day in which everyone of any age and ability can participate. Their National Walking Day site says, “Ditch your desk on April 3 and take a 30 minute walk around your workplace.”