This Week: Zoning, Oakland Arts, Church Street Bike Safety
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Wednesday today! 100 Years of Zoning. Zoning started a century ago with the 1916 New York City Zoning Resolution. Join a panel of scholars and practitioners for a retrospective on the first 100 years of zoning and what it means to the Bay Area today. Wednesday, today! Feb. 22, 12:30 pm, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF.
- Wednesday tonight! Art and Placemaking in Oakland. In September, Mayor Libby Schaaf hired Roberto Bedoya to serve as Oakland’s first cultural affairs manager. Since then, he has been undertaking a new cultural plan for the city, one that will include strategies to prevent artists and arts organizations from being priced out. Join SPUR for a conversation about arts, culture and its place in Oakland today. Wednesday, tonight! Feb. 22, 6 pm., SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Wednesday tonight! SFMTA 17TH & Church Community Meeting. Where 17th Street meets Church Street, streetcar tracks come together, forming a complicated intersection that is difficult to navigate for cyclists. This location has a history of crashes and the city is holding this open house to start planning safety improvements for the section between Church and Sanchez Streets. Wednesday, tonight! Feb. 22, 6:30-7:30 p.m., Mission Police Station, 630 Valencia Street, S.F.
- Thursday San Francisco Bicycle Coalition Member Office Hours, D5. SFBC Executive Director Brian Wiedenmeier wants to hear from you. He is hosting monthly office hours in each of SF’s Supervisorial districts. This month, he’s biking to D5 and locking up outside Mercury Cafe in Hayes Valley at Page and Octavia. Bike by and let him know what’s on your mind. Thursday, Feb. 23, 8-10 am, Mercury Cafe, 201 Octavia St., SF.
- Thursday Women Bike Happy Hour. Walk Oakland Bike Oakland and Bike East Bay team up to host a Women Bike Happy Hour. This is a regular thing, each 4th Thursday of the month. Spend some quality, off-the-bike time with other women who bike over a cold drink. RSVP on Facebook and invite your people. Thursday, Feb. 23, 5:30-7:30 pm., The Miranda, 1739 Broadway, Oakland. RSVP Requested.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.