This Week: Beyond the Tracks, Interim Uses, Scavenger Hunt
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday/today! Beyond the Tracks. SPUR, in collaboration with the California High-Speed Rail Authority and key station cities, recently released a major report looking at the economic development and land use opportunities of high-speed rail. Join them to hear what they learned. Tuesday/today! 12:30, SPUR San Jose, 76 South First Street, San Jose.
- Tuesday/tonight! Innovating Interim Uses. There’s a housing crisis, yet vacant lots sit unused for long periods of time while financing, approvals and design take place. But now, a new form of interim use strategy that focuses on these underutilized sites is emerging. Come explore the challenges and opportunities of interim projects and how they can temporarily transform urban environments with engaging and beneficial uses while addressing pressing social issues. Tuesday/tonight! 6 p.m., SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Saturday The San Francisco Bike Scavenger Hunt. The SF Hunt is back. For the third time, they’ll be taking over San Francisco for one insane all-day bike scavenger hunt. Saturday, Sept. 9, 8 am-8 pm, $50 to participate, REI, 840 Brannan St., S.F.
- Saturday Cycling for Cheddar. The Tour du Fromage blends San Francisco’s cycling community and our cheese community. This year’s tour, presented by Velo Fromage, is benefiting the California Artisan Cheese Guild, in collaboration with the Third Annual SF Cheese Fest. Bring your bike and you’ll ride to some of the best independent cheese shops in San Francisco, including The Spanish Table, The Epicurean Trader, Wingtip, and many more. Saturday, September 9, 10:30 am-4:30 pm., $20, McLaren Lodge, 501 Stanyan, S.F.
- Sunday Freedom from Training Wheels Western Addition at Sunday Streets Western Addition. Bring your child’s bike and helmet if you have them. If not, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition has a few balance bikes for kids aged 2-5. This project is made possible by the San Francisco County Transportation Authority through a grant of Proposition K Local Transportation Sales Tax Funds. Sunday, September 10, 11-2:30 pm, Sunday Streets Western Addition.
- Sunday Volunteer at Oakland Pride. Join Bike East Bay for this annual celebration of LGBTQ cultures. They’re looking for a few volunteers to help with Valet Bike Parking and a few trained Bike Ambassadors to do outreach. Sunday, September 10, 10 a.m.-7 p.m., 20th & Broadway, Oakland.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.