This Week: Transit Week, Advisory Committee, True Cost of Driving
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday/today! Transit Week Kicks Off. The San Francisco Transit Riders, a grassroots advocacy group for world-class transit in San Francisco, presents its second annual Transit Week, a celebration of public transit, those who ride it, and the operators who get us safely from point A to B. Spanning September 25 (today) through October 1, Transit Week will include daily events and giveaways to instill pride in being a transit rider. Hosted by SFCTA Chair and Supervisor Aaron Peskin, the Kick-Off will include VIP speakers as well as public transit riders. Monday, today!, Sept. 25, noon, City Hall steps, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, S.F.
- Monday/tonight! Bicycle Advisory Committee. The committee meets monthly to consider bicycle transportation projects and policies to make recommendations to the Board of Supervisors, the SFMTA, and other City and County agencies. Monday/tonight! Sept. 25, 6:30-7:30 p.m., City Hall, Room 408, 1 Dr. Carlton B. Goodlett Place, S.F.
- Tuesday The True Cost of Driving. Drivers don’t pay for the impacts on noise, air quality, and health that their cars generate. Could having drivers pay the true costs of driving help decrease traffic, clean our air, and more? Tuesday, Sept. 26, 12:30, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Tuesday San Francisco Bicycle Coalition Board Meeting. The SF Bicycle Coalition is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors. SF Bicycle Coalition Members are invited to attend all Board meetings. Tuesday, Sept. 26, 6:30-8:30 p.m., 1720 Market Street, S.F.
- Wednesday A New State Rail Plan. State transportation agencies are hard at work on a new vision for an integrated statewide rail network. This new plan will set the stage for decades of rail improvements throughout California. Come hear from CalSTA how this visionary document has the opportunity to improve transportation in the state. Wednesday, Sept. 27, 12:30, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Oakland-Alameda Access Project Public Scoping Meeting. Come join Caltrans and other agencies for a discussion on how to improve bicycle and pedestrian connections between downtown Oakland, Oakland’s waterfront, and Alameda. Thursday, September 28, 4:30-7:00 p.m., Oakland Asian Cultural Center, 388 9th Street, Suite 290, Oakland.
- Sunday Transit Week Finale/Family Fest at Sunday Streets, Excelsior. Join the Transit Riders for the final Sunday Streets of the season. They’re taking over a street block chock-full of activities to engage families about all things transit. Explore a Muni bus (among the many activities) with photo opportunities in the driver’s seat. Stop by their hub and share a #WhyIRide story. Sunday, Oct. 1, 11 a.m.–4 p.m., Excelsior from Avalon/Theresa to Geneva on Mission.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.