This Week in Livable Streets Events
Last week, many of you came out to support Streetsblog at its first birthday party. This week, lend a hand to efforts to make the Bay Bridge accessible for all users, redirect funds from the Oakland Airport Connector to struggling local transit agencies, and raise money to help those affected by the Haiti earthquake. Here are the week's highlights:
- Monday: Commission on the Environment Policy Committee Meeting – Item 4: Hunter’s Point Shipyard Phase 2. Get an update update on the Hunters Point Shipyard Phase 2 - Candlestick Point Draft Sustainability Plan. 5 p.m.
- Tuesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Cities in Asia Minor: A contemporary take on the urbanism of ancient empires. Eva Liebermann, an urban designer who has worked in San Francisco for over 30 years, will discuss urban elements from the ancient port city of Troy, Hattusa, the capital of the Hittite empire, as well as show examples of Hellenistic and Roman cities, Byzantine rock dwellings, the "Caves of God" and a mixed-use development of Seljuk times. 12:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: SPUR Young Urbanists: From Tamales to Creme Brulee: The economics of streetfood. Is the recent surge in street food a reflection of a struggling economy, or part of a larger trend in food culture? Join Caleb Zigas, Operations Director at La Cocina, a representative from the Department of Public Health and Larry Bain of Let's Be Frank as they delve into the motivations behind the streetfood industry. 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Rally to Support Bike/Ped Access Across the Bay Bridge. The Bay Area Toll Authority will be voting on a bridge toll increase that has the potential to complete the multi-modal pathway from the East Bay to San Francisco. This is your chance to tell them to make the Bay Bridge a world-class structure - one that offers access for all types of users to the entire Bay Bridge. 9 a.m.
- Wednesday: Rally for Justice and Jobs at MTC. From TransForm: "The Bay Area's Metropolitan Transportation Commission can choose to use the stimulus money from the Oakland Airport Connector to save jobs and transit service across the Bay Area!" Attend this "rally for justice and jobs" in support of redirecting OAC funds to the region's transit agencies. 9 a.m.
- Sunday: PARK(ing) for Partners. Join for this special PARK(ing) Day event to raise money for the Haitian health organization, Partners in Health. 11 a.m.-1 p.m.