This Friday, a proposal for safer bike lanes on east Cesar Chavez at Evans Street needs your support at an SFMTA engineering hearing. And on Saturday, you can tell the SFMTA how you’d like to address its budget shortfall: make common sense changes to parking management, or raise Muni fares?
Here are all the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: SFTRU Forum: Plan to Modernize Caltrain and Expedite High-Speed Rail. Join the SF Transit Riders Union to learn about San Francisco’s Fast Start Proposal, a new plan to electrify Caltrain and bring high-speed rail at a lower cost and shorter timeframe than proposed in the high-speed rail business plan, which is expected to be completed in March. 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: The SF Board of Supervisors meets. On the agenda is the proposal to require indoor bicycle parking in downtown office buildings, items related to the construction of the Central Subway through Chinatown, a grant for a transit-oriented affordable housing project on Fourth Street, the creation of a Balboa Park Station Community Advisory Committee, and more. 2 p.m.
- Also Tuesday: Pedaling the Peninsula: a Regional Bike Share. Join transportation officials from the SFMTA and the Peninsula at this SPUR forum to learn about the regional bike share system coming to San Francisco and Silicon Valley this summer. 12:30 p.m.
- More Tuesday: Re-Envisioning Stockton Street Workshop. “Join SPUR and the Chinatown Community Development Center in a community workshop to discuss…best practices and offer your input on how Stockton Street could look and function by 2022,” including “discussion of appropriate streetscape improvements, ways to preserve neighborhood character, finding opportunities for change, prioritizing transportation access and planning for a pleasant light-rail transit user experience.” 6 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Forum: The Future of the Bicycling Movement: Views from Two Coasts. “Join Paul Steely White, Executive Director of NYC’s Transportation Alternatives, and Leah Shahum, Executive Director of the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition to find out how these leading advocacy organizations are revitalizing our communities by shaping safer, more welcoming streets and public spaces.” 6 p.m.
- Friday: SFMTA Engineering Hearing. Speak up loud and clear for a safer bike lane design on Cesar Chavez at Evans Street. The proposal is said to face opposition from businesses that run trucks on these streets, because it reduces through-lanes at the intersection. 10 a.m.
- Saturday: SFMTA Town Hall Budget Meeting. The SFMTA holds the first in a series of town hall meetings to field public input on proposals for reducing the agency’s budget deficit over the next two years. Show your support for much-needed measures like extending parking meter hours instead of more fare hikes for Muni riders. Look for more meetings throughout March. 10 a.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.