This Week: Progressive Parking, More Bike Share Stations, Solving Housing
- Monday Today! Hayes Valley Bike Share Planning Workshop. Join Bay Area Bike Share to have a say in where the next Bike Share stations should be located in Hayes Valley. These workshops are also a great way to learn about how bike sharing works in the Bay Area. Monday, July 25, 6-7 p.m. African American Art + Culture Complex, 762 Fulton St, S.F. For more information about this workshop, visit Bay Area Bike Share’s website here.
- Tuesday Balancing Cities and Their Parking Many of the reasons that people love cities—excitement, opportunity for chance encounters, the capacity to delight and surprise—are due to density. But how do you support urban density while also managing residents’ occasional need for parking? Come hear about progressive parking policies that support city life, including a proposal to revamp Oakland’s parking. Tuesday, July 26, 12:30 p.m. SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland. Free for SPUR members, $10 for non-members.
- Wednesday Can Regional Government Solve the Housing Crisis? Cities throughout the Bay Area are debating how to add housing and what affordable housing requirements should be. Should the Bay Area’s regional agencies require all new commercial developments to pay a fee to support affordable housing? Should there be regional housing bonds? Join policy experts in a discussion about housing solutions. Wednesday, July 27, 12:30 p.m. SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland. Free for SPUR members, $10 for non-members.
- Wednesday Casual/Social Group Ride – Sports Basement. Join Sports Basement for a weekly social ride, averaging from 16-18 miles. Afterwards, socialize with riders over a beer or coffee. Wednesday, July 27. 6-7:30 p.m. Sports Basement, 2727 Milvia St, Berkeley.
- Thursday TransForm Social – San Jose. This summer Transform is hosting their first-ever TransForm Social. Learn about solutions to public transportation, housing, and climate woes while connecting with other TransFormers, staff and supporters. Drinks + Food + Raffle Game = TransForm Party! Thursday, July 28, 5:30-8:00 p.m. Vyne Bistro, 110 Paseo de San Antonio Walk, San Jose Tickets: $10 (includes one drink ticket + light appetizers).
- Thursday. The Gaze from the Bicycle. Indira Urrutia and Marc Hors invite you to travel with them across the American continents through their photographs collected during a 4.5 year bicycle journey that started in Alaska on May 2nd, 2007, and ended in Puerto Williams, Chile on May 27th, 2012. The free event is hosted by Mullen Brothers Imaging and includes a printed exhibition and audiovisual projection. Thursday, July 28, 6-8 p.m. Mullen Brothers Gallery, 2040 Oakdale Ave., S.F.
- Saturday The Oakland Scramble. A rich history, amazing amenities and hidden secrets make Oakland the perfect backdrop for SPUR’s first scavenger hunt in the East Bay. Join up with fellow young urbanists and follow an elaborate set of clues to leave no stone, building, tree or sculpture unturned. Saturday, July 30, 10 a.m. SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland. Register for free here.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.