This Week: Bike Ambassadors, Learning from the Netherlands, Housing the Elderly
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday tonight! Bike Ambassador Training. Want to learn more about how to spread the word about better biking in the East Bay? Come to Bike Ambassador training. Monday, tonight! March 20, 6:30 pm-8:00 pm, Bike East Bay’s Headquarters, Jack London Square, 466 Water St, Oakland.
- Tuesday Learning From the Netherlands. With sea level rise threatening our coastal areas, there is much that can be learned from the Netherlands–a country that has dealt with sea level change for its entire history. A Bay Area delegation visited the Netherlands recently to study how the Dutch control water. Join SPUR for a visual exploration of the Dutch strategies. Tuesday, March 21, 12:30 pm, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF
- Wednesday Housing the Elderly. Over the next 20 years, the population of Americans 65 and older is expected to grow by over 60 percent, but much of our current housing isn’t designed to accommodate aging residents. SPUR looks at the lessons that can be learned from recently completed senior housing projects across the Bay Area. Wednesday, March 22, 12:30, SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, SF.
- Thursday Balancing Power in Oakland’s Government. How did Oakland’s balance of power develop over the past several decades, and is that balance effective in managing the Oakland of today? Hear from Henry Gardner, Oakland’s former city manager, about what it takes to find the right balance of power between the mayor, the city administrator and the city council. Thursday, March 23, 12:30 pm, SPUR Oakland, 1544 Broadway, Oakland.
- Thursday Walk Oakland Bike Oakland Women Bike Happy Hour. WOBO and Bike East Bay team up yet again to host their next Women Bike Happy Hour. Spend quality, off-bike time with other women over a cold drink. Any level of rider and all women, trans and femme folks are welcome. Bring your bike-curious friends! RSVP on Facebook. Thursday, March 23, 5:30-7:30 pm, Drexl Bar, 382 – 19th Street, Oakland.
- Friday BART Warm Springs Opening Celebration. On Saturday, BART begins running trains, finally, to Warm Springs. One day before beginning service, BART will host an Opening Celebration. Friday, March 24, 10 am-noon, 45193 Warm Springs Blvd, Fremont. BART will run free shuttles from Fremont Station to the new station every 15-20 minutes from 8:45 am-1 pm.
- Saturday Sanctuary and Resistance Bicycle Tour. In this tour, riders will bike through Oakland’s historic and current sites of resistance, sanctuary and movement building–including Planned Parenthood, Just Cause, Marcus Bookstore, Oscar Grant Plaza, immigrant service organizations and more. Saturday, March 25, 2-5 pm, meet at Royal Nonesuch Gallery, 4231 Telegraph Avenue, Oakland. RSVP.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.