This Week in Livable Streets Events
It’s a week packed with everything from holiday bashes to useful workshops. Check out BART’s plans for bikes, get your bike ready for the weather, reimagine the streets of SoMa, speak up at some important meetings, and hop on your bike this weekend for the opening of a bike-ped tunnel or tours in the city. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: BART Bicycle Accessibility Task Force Meeting. Learn about and provide your input on BART’s plans for adding station bike parking, redesigning trains to accommodate more bikes, and “planning for more bikeable, more walkable station extensions.” 6 pm.
- Tuesday: Included in this week’s SFMTA Board agenda is the approval of what appears may be bus stop optimization along Folsom Street; the authorization of funds for bike parking and lanes along John Muir Dr. and The Great Highway; and “supporting the formation of the Ocean Avenue Community Benefit District”. 1 pm.
- Tuesday: Spokeland at Homespun Bikes! Wet Weather Maintenance. Learn how to “weatherize your bike” and keep yourself riding safely and comfortably this rainy season from Oakland non-profit Spokeland. 6:30 pm.
- Wednesday: Yerba Buena District Street Design Charrette. “If you live, work or frequently visit Eastern SOMA, be sure to be part of this charrette to reimagine the streets and public spaces of the district.” 6 pm.
- Thursday: An SF Planning Commission Special Meeting is being held at SFSU to present information on the planned mixed-use redevelopment of Park Merced. 6 pm.
- Thursday: SF Bicycle Advisory Committee Meeting. Come and speak your mind about bicycle issues in San Francisco. 6:30 pm.
- Thursday: WalkSF Annual Meet and Greet. Join WalkSF for a holiday party and have a glass of wine, meet fellow members, and hear special guest speakers State Senator Mark Leno and Supervisor David Chiu. 6 pm.
- Friday: The Cal Park Hill Tunnel ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrates the opening of this “key component of Marin’s North-South Greenway. This Class I path will provide a safe and flat route for bicyclists and strollers between San Rafael and Larkspur’s Ferry Landing.” David Baker will be leading an SFBC ride to the opening from the Ferry Building. 3 pm.
- Saturday: SFBC Survey Ride: Connecting the City – Waterfront Route. Join the SF Bike Coalition for one more ride along one stretch of their envisioned priority, “8-80” safe bikeways throughout the city. 10 am.
- Sunday: Social Justice Mural Bike Tour. Thinkwalks takes you on “a survey of more than a dozen murals addressing a variety of social issues. We’ll look at the art, the politics, the neighborhood issues,” and more. 10:30 am.
Check out the calendar for more lots more going on this week. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.