ThinkWalks Rec Ride: Transportation History Geek-Out Ride
Join SF Bicycle Coalition co-founder, Joel Pomerantz, for a bike ride from the Wiggle to Golden Gate Park to see the history of Transportation in SF unfold. Please RSVP! This is a 5 mile easy, relaxed pace ride from Duboce & Church to Ocean Beach. Provide your own bike. Pay what you like. (Free, with a hat to be passed around at the end.)
This ride will include:
- The origin of the Wiggle
- The origin of “sharrow” stencils
- How a multi-cultural Haight neighborhood stopped the freeway
- How extremely horse buggies dominated the Park
- The origin of Driver’s Licenses
- The effects on SF of the Golden Gate Bridge and Highway 1 being built
- The first ship that came to SF via the NW Passage over Canada
- How SF started modern globalized shipping
Come enjoy this small-group Thinkwalks exploration rain or shine. Please RSVP and check last minute weather. Maximum 15 people.
Joel was the first to popularize the Wiggle, was producer of the Duboce Bike Mural (lead artist: Mona Caron), and co-founded many bicycle transportation movement orgs.