This Week: BART and Muni Talk Bikes and Trains
The SFMTA Board and a BART task force will each discuss plans to experiment with removing prohibitions on bike access this week. On Tuesday, Human Transit author Jarrett Walker discusses quality public transportation at SPUR, and the SF Bike Coalition holds its 20th annual Golden Wheel Awards. The SF Planning Department will also present final plans for streetscape improvements on Broadway in Chinatown at an open house.
Here are all the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: BART Bicycle Advisory Task Force. Today’s agenda includes discussion of partially lifting the rush hour bicycle blackout period for a trial run in August. 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board Meeting. On the agenda is $180,000 “for a Safe Routes to Transit project to prioritize bike corridor enhancements, bike parking and transit connections, and pilot innovative policies and treatments on and around Muni lines.” This may include allowing bike access on board light rail vehicles, bike parking at rail stations, and integrating the Clipper card into the upcoming bike-share system. 1 p.m.
- Also Tuesday: SPUR Forum: Human Transit. Join author Jarrett Walker for a discussion of his new book, Human Transit, and what makes transit systems successful. 6 p.m.
- More Tuesday: SFBC’s 20th Annual Golden Wheel Awards. Join the SF Bicycle Coalition and keynote speaker Gil Peñalosa, executive director of 8-80 Cities and pioneer of the Sunday Streets-inspiring Ciclovia, in celebrating local businesses and community members who are “leading the way in linking neighborhoods and setting the stage for San Francisco to become a world-class bicycling city.” 6 p.m.
- Wednesday: Chinatown Broadway Street Design Final Open House. The SF Planning Department will present final plans for streetscape improvements on Broadway from Columbus Avenue to the Broadway Tunnel. 4:30 p.m.
- Thursday: East Palo Alto Hwy 101 Bike/Ped Bridge Open House and Workshop. At the first of several public workshops, planners will field public input on a proposed bike and pedestrian bridge over Highway 101 in East Palo Alto to improve mobility and better link communities. 2 p.m.
- Friday: East Bay Bike Party: Dancing With the Stars, Aliens, and Astronauts. The mothership will land in the East Bay this Friday as the Bike Party gang hosts this space-themed nighttime ride around Berkeley, Emeryville and Oakland, with a “mind-blowing mega-dance surprise” at one of the stops along the way. 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday: EBBC Benefit: A Day at the Races and A Night of Cervezas. Sign up to race your bike around Lake Merritt in Downtown Oakland and bet on your favorites this East Bay Bicycle Coalition fundraiser. The after party starts at 5 p.m. and includes food, drinks, live music, and a raffle. 12 noon.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.