The BART strike was averted, and what better way to celebrate than with an exciting week of livable streets events. Here's a taste of what's in store.
- Monday: CCSF Bike Repair Class. CCSF is offering a full-semester class involving repair, maintenance, customizing bikes for hilly San Francisco riding, building bike stands and truing stands and other tools for proper maintenance, proper adjustments to working bikes and more. 2:30-5:30 p.m. Normally meets on Wednesdays.
- Tuesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: New Orleans: rebuilding in an era of climate change. Edward Blakely, former recovery chief for the City of New Orleans, focuses on the inter-relationships of ecological, social, economic and environmental re-planning in New Orleans. 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: The future of energy. Should energy policy be a local or a state issue? Molly Sterkel, program manager for the CPUC, David Hochschild of Solaria, and Dan Kammen, director of UC Berkeley’s Renewable and Appropriate Energy Laboratory, consider what progress we are making toward renewables, and what kind of innovations will change the way we use energy. 12:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: SFBC Bike-in Movie Night: Klunkerz. Klunkerz tells the story of the "early crazy days" of mountain biking in Marin and how it all lead to the birth of a world-wide phenomenon and a "massive bike boom." 8:00 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Walking Tour: EcoCenter at Heron’s Head Park. The EcoCenter at Heron's Head Park will be the first environmental education facility in southeast San Francisco, and the city’s first 100 percent “off-grid” building. This tour, with Laurie Schoeman from Literacy for Environmental Justice and David Beaupre of the Port of SF, also visits the site of the planned Eco-Industrial Park in the backlands of Piers 90-94. 12:30 p.m.
- Friday: Balboa Park Station Westside Entrance and Walkway Groundbreaking Event. Check out the "grand plan" for the station's renovation. 10:00-11:30 a.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.