This Week: Support a Transit-First SFMTA Budget
Tomorrow the SFMTA may approve measures including Sunday afternoon metering and free Muni for low-income youth, when its two-year budget proposal goes before the Board of Directors. The public is invited to comment — don’t miss the last chance to speak in support of a strong transit-first budget. Other highlights this week: CPMC’s plans for two parking-saturated medical centers go up for approval at the SF Planning Commission on Thursday, and Muni wants your feedback on proposals to improve the 30-Stockton and 8x-Bayshore lines at a TEP workshop this weekend.
Here are all the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: BART Bicycle Advisory Task Force meeting. Staff will provide an update on the BART car redesign and present designs for a proposed bike station at Civic Center. 6 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board of Directors vote on a two-year budget. The SFMTA Board could approve the agency’s two-year budget proposal, which includes extending metered parking to Sunday afternoons, free Muni for low-income youth, a $30 million increase in maintenance for Muni vehicles and street infrastructure, no Muni service cuts, and no fare hikes for riders (aside from inflation adjustments). Although the board can postpone adopting a budget as late as May 1, this could be your last chance to weigh in. 1 p.m.
- Thursday: Caltrain Board of Directors meeting. The board will hear an update on the plan to upgrade and electrify Caltrain using high-speed rail funds. 10 a.m.
- Also Thursday: SF Planning Commission Hearing: CPMC. The Planning Commission may vote on California Pacific Medical Center’s plans to build huge volumes of car parking in its projects at Cathedral Hill (at Van Ness and Geary) and St. Luke’s (at Cesar Chavez and Valencia). Speak out against permitting car-centric facilities that could jam these neighborhoods with traffic. 10 a.m.
- Friday: Walk to Work Day. Enjoy a healthier commute by joining pedestrians across the country for National Walk to Work Day. Even if you live far from work, you can walk the first or last half-mile (or more). Be sure to join Walk SF on Thursday evening for a pre-WTWD happy hour at Ma’velous from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Also Friday: San Francisco Bike Party: Animal Kingdom. Don your best animal costume and take to the streets of the “urban jungle” of San Francisco. 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday: Muni TEP workshop: 30-Stockton and 8X-Bayshore Express. The SFMTA will hold its second workshop on plans to speed up eight priority Muni lines as part of its Transit Effectiveness Project. This weekend’s event will be focused on improvements for the 8x Bayshore Express and the 30-Stockton — one of the slowest lines in the system. Show your support for effective measures like transit-only lanes and increased stop spacing. 10 a.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.