This Week: Tall Buildings, Women Bike, Van Ness BRT
Here are this week’s highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday How Will Tall Buildings React in the Big One? San Francisco has recently completed the Tall Buildings Safety Strategy, an in-depth study of all S.F. buildings 240 feet in height or more–156 of them. Join SPUR to learn about its key recommendations and San Francisco’s efforts to strengthen city infrastructure. Tuesday, Aug. 20, 12:30 p.m., SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Thursday Women Bike Happy Hour. Any level of rider and all women, trans and femme folks are welcomed. Bring bikey and bike-curious friends. Thursday, Aug. 22, 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m., Lost & Found Beer Garden, on Telegraph Ave. at 21st Street, Oakland.
- Thursday Van Ness BRT Community Advisory Committee. This committee meets monthly to provide community guidance and input on the Van Ness BRT project. Thursday, Aug. 22, 6 p.m., Union Square Conference Room, Seventh Floor, One South Van Ness Avenue, S.F.
- Thursday The Role of the Region. Join SPUR for a conversation about the balance between local and regional control and the role of transportation as both a connector and divider in our communities. Thursday, Aug. 22, 6 p.m., SPUR Urban Center, 654 Mission Street, S.F.
- Saturday Adult & Family Learn-to-Ride Class. San Francisco Bicycle Coalition instructors will work one-on-one with participants on the basics of balancing, starting, stopping, and steering a bike, as well as proper helmet fit and adjustment. Saturday, Aug. 24, 11 a.m.-2 p.m., NOW Hunters Point, 155 Jennings St @ Cargo Way, S.F.
- Saturday Ride to Drake’s Jubilee. Join Bike East Bay for a bike ride to Drake’s Jubilee. This is an 11-mile bike ride from Lake Merritt BART to Drake’s Barrel House in San Leandro. The route will follow Oakland’s Embarcadero and the MLK Shoreline. Saturday, Aug. 24, 4-5:30 p.m., Lake Merritt BART, 800 Madison Street, Oakland.
- Sunday Smart City Cycling Classroom Workshop. Join the SFBC for a presentation covering all you need to know for biking in SF and the Bay Area. This is the perfect class for anyone already riding to hone their skills, or people interested in riding but intimidated by urban traffic. Sunday, Aug. 25, 2:30-4:30 p.m., SF Public Library Main Branch, 100 Larkin Street, S.F.
Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.