This week, stand up for parking reform on Tuesday, sit down for a talk about Time Square's lawn chairs on Thursday, and stand up again for the Walk SF Peak2Peak Walk on Saturday! Here are the week's highlights.
- Monday: SFBC Treehouse Talk: Driven to Excess. Josh Hart, former Program Director of the SFBC, is back in SF after three years in the UK. He'll speak about his research, his adventures getting to and from the UK without flying, and the campaigning work he did there. 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board Meeting: Parking study presentation. Parking reform and transit advocates will have a chance to show their support for the recommendations in the MTA's new parking study. The presentation is item 14 on the agenda. 2 p.m.
- Tuesday: SFBC Treehouse Talk: Designing Streets for People: SF’s Better Streets Plan. After nearly three years of work and over 80 public meetings, the Better Streets Plan is nearing its completion. Come hear about the plan’s vision for the future of San Francisco’s streets and next steps to put the plan into action, and bring your ideas for a discussion about the role of the street in the city's public life. 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday: CounterPULSE Talk: Bicycling in San Francisco. A broad discussion of bicycle etiquette, transportation and urban design, featuring SFBC's Andy Thornley. 7:30 p.m.
- Thursday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Lawn chairs in Times Square. Tim Tompkins, President of the Times Square Alliance, the business improvement district that manages Times Square in NYC, will share the story of the ongoing trial of a new pedestrian plaza in the iconic space, and how business organizations can make the most of the public realm. What role do street spaces play in a highly competitive business environment? Organized by the Great Streets Project. 12:30 p.m.
- Saturday: Walk San Francisco Peak2Peak Walk. A challenging 15-mile trek up and down SF's highest peaks. Walkers get a unique view of the city's skyline, stairways, paths, parks, and monuments - all while raising money for Walk SF's vital pedestrian safety and advocacy work. Breakfast, lunch, snacks, raffle prizes, and a year's membership in Walk SF are included. Registration deadline is October 22. Arrival and sign-in: 8:30 a.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.