This Week: Speak Up for a Safer Masonic and Second Street
The redesign of Masonic Avenue is up for approval at the SFMTA Board of Directors tomorrow. City staffers will also present design options for bike/ped improvements on Second Street Thursday, and this weekend has some good times in store with Park(ing) Day and Tour de Fat.
Here are all the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board of Directors meeting. The board may approve the proposed redesign of Masonic Avenue with raised bike lanes, bus bulb-outs, reduced traffic lanes, street trees, and more. SFMTA staff will also present its five-year State of Cycling Report and a new document spelling out the agency’s parking policies. 1 p.m.
- Wednesday: BART to Livermore Public Meeting. BART will be fielding public input on a potential extension to Livermore ahead of the completion of the project’s environmental impact report. While Livermore residents have been paying into the project with taxes for decades, it has been criticized as a waste of scarce transportation funds. 6 p.m.
- Thursday: Second Street Improvement Project Community Meeting. Staff from the SFMTA and the Department of Public Works will present design options for delayed pedestrian, bicycle, and transit improvements on Second Street. Show your support for protected bike lanes, wider sidewalks, and more to help ensure the city takes every opportunity to create a truly safer street. 6 p.m.
- Friday: Park(ing) Day. Born in San Francisco, the now-global phenomenon known as Park(ing) Day returns. Swing by temporary parklets in your neighborhood — or reclaim a parking space yourself — along with hundreds of others planned in cities around the world.
- Also Friday: SJ Bike Party: Rocky Horror Ride. “Don’t dream it, be it!” Time warp back to the 70s for this “Rocky Horror”–themed ride through the streets of San Jose. 8 p.m.
- Saturday: SFBC: New Belgium’s Tour de Fat. Bikes and beer never went better together than at this free, fun-filled summer day in Golden Gate Park with the bicycle-loving New Belgium Brewery. Enjoy circus-esque shows, attempt to ride bicycle-like contraptions, and grab a Fat Tire knowing all beer proceeds support the SF Bike Coalition. 10 a.m.
- Next Monday: East Bay BRT Station Design Community Meeting. Check out proposed station designs, crosswalk treatments and other street improvements planned along the Oakland-San Leandro East Bay BRT route. 6 p.m.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.