Livable Streets Events
This Week in Livable Streets Events
9:50 AM PST on February 14, 2011
This week, the Board of Supes considers a resolution urging free Muni passes for low-income youth and the SFMTA Board holds a special meeting. Also, learn about San Francisco's growing public street events, the Mission District's thriving arts scene, get animated at the San Jose Bike Party, and learn how to ride safely in the East Bay. Here are the highlights from the Streetsblog calendar:
- Monday: The SF Board of Supes City Operations and Neighborhood Services Committee holds an important hearing on a resolution urging the SFMTA to adopt the Free Lifeline Youth Muni Pass Program that could help provide desperately needed transportation for thousands of low-income and homeless SFUSD students. 4 pm.
- Tuesday: SFMTA Board of Directors Meeting. This special meeting will feature presentations to the board on the SFMTA's Strategic Plan, Pedestrian Safety, and the Transit Effectiveness Program. 9 am.
- Tuesday: SF Board of Supervisors Meeting. On this week's agenda is a resolution urging the SFMTA to adopt free Muni passes for low-income youth, the Mission Streetscape Plan, consideration of funds for installing rubber sidewalks, and appointments to the Golden Gate Bridge, Highway and Transportation District. 2 pm.
- Wednesday: SPUR Lunchtime Forum: Dancing in the streets: Celebrating Community and Public Space. Learn about how San Francisco's booming street events are "tapping into the widespread desire to enjoy our neighborhoods, boost business, bring people together, eat great food and get more from our streets" with Andrea Aiello of the Castro and Upper Market Community Benefits District, Jeremy Shaw of the Mission Community Market and Kit Hodge from the San Francisco Great Streets Project. 12:30 pm.
- Thursday: SPUR Walking Tour: Arts in the Inner Mission: ODC Theater and Southern Exposure Gallery Tour. Take a visit to pioneering arts organizations ODC Theater and Southern Exposure, celebrated creative hubs recognized for supporting cutting-edge artists that are catalyzing the Inner Mission’s role as a vibrant arts district within San Francisco. 12:30 pm.
- Friday: San Jose Bike Party. Get your regular Bay Area Friday bike party fix this week with San Jose's animation-themed ride. "Hopefully you have you costumes all picked out and have some decent lights as we are going down some really dark streets this month!" 8 pm.
- Saturday: Traffic Skills 101 Classroom Workshop – Albany. Folks in the East Bay can "learn how to drive a bike" with this free classroom course on "the basics of safe cycling, riding in traffic, equipment, crash avoidance, and rights and responsibilities." All graduates earn a free bike light set - no bike needed. 1 pm.
Keep an eye on the calendar for updated listings. Got an event we should know about? Drop us a line.
More from Streetsblog San Francisco
See all posts